Linked Sites and Service Providers.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU HEREBY RELEASE COMPANY AND EACH OF THE OTHER COMPANY PARTIES (DEFINED BELOW) FROM ANY CLAIMS OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND OR NATURE, KNOWN OR UNKNOWN, SUSPECTED OR UNSUSPECTED, DISCLOSED OR UNDISCLOSED, RELATING TO THE DATA COLLECTION, STORAGE, USE, AND SHARING OF YOUR OR ANY THIRD PARTY’S PERSONAL INFORMATION OR ANONYMOUS INFORMATION BY ANY SERVICE PROVIDER. YOU AGREE, UNDERSTAND AND INTEND THAT THIS ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND RELEASE IS BINDING UPON YOU AND YOUR HEIRS, EXECUTORS, AGENTS, ADMINISTRATORS AND ASSIGNS IN PERPETUITY.
Information We Collect
All of the information we collect is related to providing the Properties and its features, and falls into three general categories: (i) information you provide to us, (ii) information collected automatically, and (iii) information we obtain from third parties. We process this information in light of our legitimate interest in improving the Properties and giving our customers the best experience, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between us and you. Without it, we may not be able to provide you with the requested services and features of the Properties.
When you visit our Properties you may provide us and our Service Providers with two types of information: (i) Personal Information you knowingly choose to disclose that is collected on an individual basis, and (ii) information collected on an aggregated basis as you and others use our Properties. "Personal Information" is information that can be used to identify you (whether alone or in combination) such as your first and last name, email address, and organization.
Information You Provide. You may provide Us, and our third-party service providers, with Your Personal Information through the Properties, for example:
- Newsletter: When you elect to sign up for our e-mail newsletter, you will need to provide certain Personal Information such as your e-mail address.
- Communications: When you communicate with us or our Service Providers by e-mail or through the Properties, you may provide us certain Personal Information.
- Survey: If you participate in any survey, you may provide certain Personal Information as part of your response.
Information We Collect Automatically. We and our Service Providers may collect certain Personal Information automatically as the result of your use of the Properties and other web analytics services. This information generally includes:
- Usage Data: When you use the Properties, we and our Service Providers may track and collect usage data and information about your interactions with the Properties such as the pages that you visit and links you click on, and the date and time the Properties on your device access our servers. We do not collect individual’s information but use the information only in aggregate.
- An Internet Protocol (IP) address is a number that is automatically assigned to your device from which you are accessing the Property by your Internet Service Provider (ISP), and is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you visit the Properties, along with the time of the visit and the activity on the Properties, browser type and operating system, device information, device event information, and the page you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the Properties. We and our Service Providers use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating Property usage levels, helping diagnose server problems, administering the Properties and determining your approximate geographic location.
- “Cookies” are small pieces of information that a website attaches to your browser when you visit a website. We may use session Cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience with the Website. When you visit a site, that site's computer asks your computer for permission to store this file in a part of your hard drive specifically designated for cookies. Each site can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser's preferences allow it. We do not store Personal Information in any Cookies on your computer. Persistent Cookies can be removed by following your Internet browser’s directions within the help tab. However, in order to use certain aspects of the Properties, your web browser must accept Cookies, and therefore some aspects of the Properties may not work properly if you choose to disable Cookies.
- Device Information: Certain information is collected by most browsers, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, device type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system version, Internet browser type and version and the type and version of the Property that you are using. We and our Service Providers may also collect a unique device identifier assigned by us or our Service Providers to the device from which you are accessing the Property and other transactional information for the device that we and our Service Providers may use to serve content and advertisements to the device.
- Software Development Kits (“SDK(s)”): We or our Service Providers may use SDKs to collect information and information related to how mobile devices interact with the Properties. An SDK is computer code that app developers can include in their apps to enable ads to be shown, data to be collected and related services and functionality to be implemented. A mobile SDK is in effect the mobile app version of a pixel tag or beacon. We may use this technology, for instance, to analyze how you interact with content and advertisements and to enable analytics or other features through mobile devices.
- Aggregated Information: We may aggregate Personal Information so that the end-product does not personally identify you or any other user of the Property, for example, by using Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users who access a particular article.
How We Use Your Information
- To provide you access to and use of our Products, including access to your account and the services we may provide in connection therewith.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests (e.g., send newsletters or provide you with information about our Website).
- To send you administrative information, including information regarding the Properties and changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
- To send to you marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you (including, without limitation, by our Service Providers that send direct mail, email, and other types of advertising to those whose email addresses we have collected).
- To personalize your experience with the Properties by presenting content, products, and offers tailored to you.
- To provide, improve, test, monitor, and develop the Properties, including, without limitation, to provide you access to the Properties, identify usage trends, and determine the effectiveness of promotional campaigns.
- To develop and test new products, services, and features as well as diagnose and fix technology problems in connection with current products, services, and features.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, developing new products, enhancing the Properties, improving our services, identifying usage trends and determining the effectiveness of promotional campaigns.
How Your Personal Information May Be Disclosed to Third Parties
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- Service Providers: We use a variety of Service Providers to provide services to us or to our users on our behalf, such as hosting, data analysis, order fulfillment, infrastructure provision, IT services, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other similar services to enable them to provide such services. These Service Providers have access to your information solely to perform these tasks on our behalf in accordance with our instructions and to the extent necessary to provide their services to us.
Retention Period. Your Personal Information may be stored as long as it is required for the purposes identified when you provided the information for such specific purposes or for any new purposes identified by us and consented to by you, and for any appropriate time thereafter including a sufficient time following to permit you to ask any questions regarding its use, after which point it will be archived only for so long as reasonably necessary for the purposes set out above, in accordance with applicable laws.
Sensitive Information. Do not send us or disclose any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Properties or otherwise to us.
Choice and Access
Data Security. We have implemented measures designed to secure your Personal Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. Notwithstanding, the safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we or any of our Service Providers have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Properties, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We urge you to be careful about giving out Personal Information in public areas of the Properties like message boards and comments sections. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Properties.
We restrict access of Personal Information to authorized personnel of Company, employees, contractors, vendors and Service Providers, and agents who need to know that information in order to operate, innovate, and deliver our Properties and any purchases made thereon. Personal Information will only be disclosed to those vendors and Service Providers of Company for the purpose of administering our Properties and completing transactions taking place thereon in accordance with the uses as outlined herein.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information transmitted to our Properties. We cannot guarantee that unauthorized third parties will not gain access to your Personal Information; therefore, any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures in connection with the Properties.
Your choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information. In some jurisdictions, including the EEA, you may exercise certain rights to access, request copies of, change or correct, request our deletion or transfer, object to or reject certain processing of your Personal Information. You may, of course, decline to share certain Personal Information with us. In such circumstances we may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality found on the Properties.
Opting Out. We give you many choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information for marketing purposes. You may opt-out from:
- Newsletter: If you wish to opt out or modify your preferences to receive our newsletter, please follow the instructions at the bottom of our email and select to unsubscribe or modify your preferences.
- Join Us: If you wish to terminate your commitment to #FoodNotPhones, please email us at email@example.com
- Email Information to Event Sponsors: To opt out of the sale of your e-mail address to our event sponsors, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that, if you opt-out as described above, we may not be able to remove your Personal Information from the databases of unaffiliated third parties with which we have already shared your Personal Information as of the date that we process your opt-out request. Please also note that, if you do opt-out from receiving marketing-related messages from us, we may still send administrative messages to you, such as related to pending orders, returns, or refunds.
Opt Out of Google Analytics. To opt out of Google Analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser found at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. To opt out of Google Analytics for display advertising or customize Google display network ads, you can visit the Google Ads Settings page found at https://adssettings.google.com/authenticated.
Mobile Device Settings. On your mobile device, enable the “Limit Ad Tracking” setting in your iOS phone’s settings, or the setting to “Opt out of Ads Personalization” in your Android phone’s settings. To opt-out of location tracking when using our Properties, you can use the settings of your device. You can disable mobile analytics and bug reporting through these same settings as well.
For more information about analytics and advertising cookies and how you can opt out, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s opt-out page found at http://optout.networkadvertising.org/?c=1 , the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out page found at http://optout.aboutads.info/?c=2&lang=EN, or EDAA’s Your Online Choices page found at http://www.youronlinechoices.com/.
Privacy Notice for California Residents.
California residents who wish to request further information about our compliance with this law or have questions or concerns about our privacy practices, may do so at the following:
By email to: email@example.com
By mail to: 130 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 415, Santa Monica, CA 90405, Attn: Manager
We will only act on your request if it is “verifiable.” To verify your identity, we will collect basic personal information about you to match with our records. Next, you will receive a written confirmation that your request was received, as well as information about additional steps that may be required to confirm your identity and verify appropriate contact information.
You may make a request to disclose or delete using an “authorized agent.” Please include with your request a signed document stating that the agent is authorized to act on your behalf. We will then respond by providing information as to (i) how you can verify your identity, and (ii) confirm that the agent is authorized to act on your behalf.
If you have only provided Personal Information as a result of browsing our Website (i.e., you did not complete any forms or send us any emails or other communications) we will be unable to provide information about the specific Personal Information we hold about you. Please refer to the table above for information about our general data handling practices.
Please note that you may make data requests no more than twice in a 12-month period.
We will try to respond to verifiable requests within 45 days. If we require more time, we will inform you of the reason and extension period in a written response. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the receipt of your request. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable.
General Data Protection Regulation. If you are a data subject in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), you have the right to access, rectify, or erase any personal data Company has collected about you. You also have the right to data portability and the right to restrict or object to Company’s processing of personal data it has collected about you. You may withdraw your consent at any time for any data processing Company does based on consent you have provided to it. To exercise any of these rights, contact YLG as set forth in the section “Contact Us” below and specify which right you intend to exercise. Please include your name, address, and e-mail address, with “Legal” in the subject line in your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. Company will respond to your request within 30 days. Company may require additional information from you to allow Company to confirm your identity. Please note that Company may store information as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, and may continue to retain and use the information even after a data subject request for purposes of Company’s legitimate interests, including to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, prevent fraud, and enforce its agreements. Personal Information collected within the European Union and Switzerland may be transferred and processed by third parties located in a country outside of the European Union and Switzerland. In such instances, Company will ensure that the transfer of your personal data is carried out in accordance with applicable privacy laws. If you have any issues with Company’s compliance, you have the right to lodge a complaint with an EEA supervisory authority.
Children Under the Age of 13
Our Properties are not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or via the Properties. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information via the Properties or on or through any of its features/register on the Properties, make any purchases through the Properties, use interactive or public comment features of the Properties (if any), or provide any Personal Information (as defined below) to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will take corrective action as required by the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”). If you are a parent or guardian and believe we might have collected children’s Personal Information in a manner not permitted by COPPA, please contact us by sending a letter to the following address: 130 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 415, Santa Monica, CA 90405, Attn: Manager, or an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “LEGAL: COPPA” in the subject line, and we will take corrective action required by COPPA.
Parents may want to consider commercially available parental control protections to limit what minors can access online and/or monitor their minor children’s online activities. Examples include: www.netnanny.com; www.webwatcher.com and www.sentrypc.com. We do not endorse these or other services and are not responsible for them.
- Phone: (310) 392-0448
- Email: email@example.com
- Postal Address: 130 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 415, Santa Monica, CA 90405, Attn: Manager